Monday, January 10, 2011

Aspects of Wellness

This year I didn’t want to set concrete goals and deadlines. There is a big branch in life up ahead, and so much will depend on which path I take. With that in mind, I wanted to focus instead on aspects of wellness. Ways I can improve my life without relying on what else is going on around me.

The site I took this idea from has seven aspects of wellness: Emotional, Intellectual, Physical, Environmental, Social, Occupational, and Spiritual. I have eight. Creativity is such a major part of my identity that I want to focus on it separate from Occupational or Intellectual.

When I first discovered these last year, I took time and visualized, then wrote down, an overall statement for ideal wellness for each aspect. With this new year, I wanted to set my goals/resolutions around those. I’ve gone into more detail in my journaling, but here are my basic goals for each:

Emotional

  • Positive journaling
  • Monthly date nights
  • Daily music time – piano, Rock Band, dance

Intellectual

  • Read one non-fiction book each month.

Physical

  • Drink more water and less soda.

Environmental

  • Go for a walk once a week, to get sunlight and fresh air.

Social

  • Join a local writing group.
  • Las Vegas trip with sisters

Occupational

  • Look into continuing education, such as Library Science or Editing.

Spiritual

  • Take time each week to relax, be quiet and alone. Retune with spirit, soul, nature.
  • Know myself so I may know my future.

Creative

  • Write one hour every day – doesn’t have to be in one session
  • Finish at least one novel before starting anything new.
  • Main focus: finish The Minotaur Staff (NaNoWriMo 2010)

1 comment: