Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Yet another Tuesday Tally

EotF Status

working myself up for draft 6

 

T.C. Status

word count: 2,893

 

Poems Written

17/30

 

Goals for November

  • Poem a Week - some of my daily poems suck, but I'm getting at least one gem a week 
  • submit a batch of poetry weekly - a little behind on this, need to get back on target 
  • mail off Blazing Princess again - plans to print off this weekend, get sent out next week 

 

I can't believe next week is the fourth week in November! That means poetry chat, birthday, and Thanksgiving. This month sure has gone fast.

 

I've decided to quit debating about the controversial stuff in EotF. It's too much a part of the story to take it out. That wouldn't be fair to the MC or the story. So, I'm going to do another draft to deal with a couple other problems that have cropped up, then I'm going to suck it up and send it out. My husband made the observation that if I would stop whining and looking on blogs for my answers, I might actually be done polishing the book. He has a good point. I'll let the story be itself, and see how it does in the world of agents. I won't know if it's marketable by sitting on it.

 

For the first time, I am seriously considering writing two books at once. Not putting one on the back burner for brainstorming and notes only while I focus on another, but actively working on writing both. I don't want to put aside Trinity Coven, as I finally wrote the prophecy poem this month which helped to define some conflicts, but I'm really excited about Magic is Believing (my tentative title for the crazy lady letters story). Ooh, maybe I should have a contest to come up with a creative salutation for Alexa. Though I don't know what I could give as a prize, other than using it in the book. Hmm.

 

I can't keep up with the poem a day, so we're falling back to the poem a week, which was my "official" goal anyway. I wrote a poem a day for 17 days in a row, but the quality was beginning to drop significantly. I did get some gems, and some with potential, but I'm afraid a lot of the recent poems will be tossed. Need to recharge my muse.

3 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job on the poems! And one gem a week is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think there's any problem with keeping the controversial stuff, it's just that the tone needs to be in keeping with it (b/c it's jarring to read a story that has a lighthearted tone and then get a serious-subject dropped in). If those parts are integral to the story, then definitely keep them--it's just a matter of making sure to present the subject properly. My CP is very quick to point out when I get off my game in that regard :)

    Btw I'm very impressed with all that poetry writing! Good luck and happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for the poetry encouragement.

    Lynn, I'll keep the tone in mind when revising my opening. I think that's a very good point, and maybe I haven't handled it as well as I could.

    ReplyDelete