Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Two-thirds to the finish and turning around

What a bloody mess. I added in the spiders. Love the build up, and the chapter where they get them… then nothing. They don’t contribute enough to the rest of the story. It’s possible I simply don’t know how best to utilize them, maybe too stuck seeing the story how it is, but right now it’s not working. Two-thirds to the finish line, and I’m turning back to get back on the previous horse.

 

I did do some good tightening in other scenes, though, so I’ll have to compare versions, take some and leave some. Ugh. I guess that’s what I get for trying to add a new element after it had been sitting in a “finished” state for most of the year.

 

What I need to do is a quick edit for what changes to keep and what to throw out, then work on selling it, leaving the manuscript alone until I get some revision letters from agents or editors.

2 comments:

  1. I have been there and done that. It takes a good writer to see the parts of her story that don't quite work... and move on. And it is so hard! Like cutting off a limb whose presence you will always feel even after it is gone. But keep a version of what you may cut just in case it turns out to be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bethany. I have a file with cut scenes, as well as save previous drafts on a separate backup system. It does make it easier to cut characters, scenes, even chapters, when I know it's still there if I need them.

    ReplyDelete