What a bloody mess. I added in the spiders. Love the build up, and the chapter where they get them… then nothing. They don’t contribute enough to the rest of the story. It’s possible I simply don’t know how best to utilize them, maybe too stuck seeing the story how it is, but right now it’s not working. Two-thirds to the finish line, and I’m turning back to get back on the previous horse.
I did do some good tightening in other scenes, though, so I’ll have to compare versions, take some and leave some. Ugh. I guess that’s what I get for trying to add a new element after it had been sitting in a “finished” state for most of the year.
What I need to do is a quick edit for what changes to keep and what to throw out, then work on selling it, leaving the manuscript alone until I get some revision letters from agents or editors.