Thursday, July 26, 2007

Harry Potter Confessions (not spoilers)

I read a lot of fantasy, across most subgenres, both YA and adult. But my newsletter readers would probably be shocked to learn I have not read the two most talked about series in Fantasy literature. The question that always comes up seems to be: Which do you prefer, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?

I have read neither. I've watched the movies though (love them!). Own all the DVDs. I don't look down on people who've read them. I just haven't gotten around to it myself. We even own the first three Harry Potter books - currently boxed up with the rest of our library.

Possible reasons for not reading LOTR:
  • don't want to be influenced, as many new authors are said to be
  • too much narration/description - I enjoy description, but if it goes on too long I will zone out and possibly miss something important
Possible reasons for not reading Harry Potter:
  • because it's a big thing - I'm not one to follow trends
  • easier to wait until the series is finished (stopped reading Robert Jordan for same reason)
  • my sister owns them all, so there's no rush, I can borrow them whenever I'm ready
A benefit to not having read the books before the movies is I don't fret over something missed or changed details. I have nothing to compare the films to, and can judge each on their own merits. Example: With Jurassic Park, I saw the movie, loved it, went and read the book, loved it as well. With Jurassic Park 2, I read the book first. I went to the movie with a preconceived notion of what it would be - and it was very different. I enjoyed the movie more the second time, having cleared my expectations.

I hope everyone enjoyed reading Harry Potter book 7. Just don't flame me for never having read any. :-p

2 comments:

  1. It's been way too long since I dropped by! What, almost a month now? The whole summer thing threw me off. (Oh, and now that Harry Potter's done you can read the series! unless you want to wait until you've seen all the movies . . . *sigh*) I know what you mean about the trend thing. Honestly, if I hadn't loved Harry Potter before it was insanely popular I don't know if I'd be the JK Rowling fan I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with liz - i TOTALLY read them before they were the "it" thing to read. lol but i totally agree with you too! I'm excited about our writers workshop this month - things have been WAY too stressful with this whole flood thing. love ya!!

    ReplyDelete