I read a lot of fantasy, across most subgenres, both YA and adult. But my newsletter readers would probably be shocked to learn I have not read the two most talked about series in Fantasy literature. The question that always comes up seems to be: Which do you prefer, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings?
I have read neither. I've watched the movies though (love them!). Own all the DVDs. I don't look down on people who've read them. I just haven't gotten around to it myself. We even own the first three Harry Potter books - currently boxed up with the rest of our library.
Possible reasons for not reading LOTR:
- don't want to be influenced, as many new authors are said to be
- too much narration/description - I enjoy description, but if it goes on too long I will zone out and possibly miss something important
- because it's a big thing - I'm not one to follow trends
- easier to wait until the series is finished (stopped reading Robert Jordan for same reason)
- my sister owns them all, so there's no rush, I can borrow them whenever I'm ready
I hope everyone enjoyed reading Harry Potter book 7. Just don't flame me for never having read any. :-p