Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Tuesday Tally and Query Tracker

Status of my novel

  1. first draft
  2. read and revise for plot
  3. read and revise for continuity
  4. read and edit for grammar
  5. polish prose to prettiness
  6. write query and synopsis
  7. query agents

total words to date: 90,256

pages: 397

chapters revised: 10/21 (draft 3)

Previous goals:

  • 2 hour writing session Wednesday - was too tired, slept most of the afternoon. this cold sure has cut down productivity  
  • write letter to self about this year's goals, which I can read through-out the year for inspiration - still need to do
  • edit five chapters of EotF - at least I finished something! 
  • critique three chapters of work not mine - did one. sick, foggy brain and all
  • send out a batch of poetry - submitted 6 poems to The New Yorker 
  • write rough synopsis for EotF - messy, but complete. more of a chapter-by-chapter summary than a good synopsis. but it's a starting point 

Goals for next week:

  • revise 7 more chapters for EotF (trying to get through this round of edits by end of month)
  • goal letter to self 
  • critique at least one chapter (being more reasonable this time) 

 

As predicted, my pun entry got me into the second tier, not the first. My opponent's entry was awesome. Even I thought it beat mine to pulp. On the bright side, competition may be easier in second tier than first, and the prizes are still good.

 

I found a great site today: QueryTracker.net. I'm going to sign up for their free services. Not only do they have a searchable database of agents, along with user comments, but they have query tracking (thus the name). I think it will be a great resource once I start submitting to agents. They keep track of average response times, genres represented, who is actively seeking new clientele, etc. Much like  Duotrope's Digest, except with agents instead of markets. And did I mention it's free? I like free.

No comments:

Post a Comment