Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Tuesday Tally of a new year

Status of my novel

  1. first draft
  2. read and revise for plot
  3. read and revise for continuity
  4. read and edit for grammar
  5. polish prose to prettiness
  6. write query and synopsis
  7. query agents

total words to date: 89,746

pages: 396

chapters revised: 0/21 (draft 3)

Previous goals:

  • write a synopsis for The Blazing Princess and prep story for submission to Drollerie Press after the holidays  - written and sent 
  • minimum one article a week (new or old) for AC - altering goal as they no longer pay upfront for anything appearing on Ezines, which is where all my articles are. 
  • get more feedback on plot and character in EotF  - any volunteers? going to start more revisions regardless 
  • make list of goals for the new year, and write about this year's goals  - see some below. tomorrow's post will be a Year in Review 

Goals for next week:

  • send follow-up email to 1097 magazine as it's been three months w/out acknowledgement or response
  • Wilcox Writers newsletter
  • character profiles of major players in Trinity Coven
  • Exercise 3 times
  • Wednesday post about a Year in Review
  • Thursday post about Goals - detailed and deadlined.

I have plans for this year, but need to come up with specifics and deadlines. I want to finish Trinity Coven, polish EotF and start submitting to agents, go to the fantasy symposium at BYU in February, and continue sending out The Blazing Princess until it sells or the year is over. Non-writing related I want to continue strengthening my exercise routine, get better at Rock Band (a workout in itself), and throw a theme party for B's fourth birthday. I also want to move into a house, but that is probably too situational to make a specific goal. We've been saving money for a down payment, and will add most of our tax return to that. If the market is good, and we can afford something, we'll likely start house hunting this summer so we can be ready before our lease is up in November.

 

I like to challenge myself with writing, and contests are a good way to do so. On Writing.com I've entered a tournament that will put me one-on-one against different writers, tackling a variety of forms and prompts. It's a good thing this first round isn't an elimination though, as it deals with something I've never attempted - puns. Well, I wanted a challenge and I got it. At least I have two weeks to write my entry.

 

I had an enjoyable New Year's Eve. After putting the boy to bed, my husband and I played EverQuest2 for a couple hours, then rocked out on Rock Band until after eleven. We ate tri-colored butter cake (used the leftover frosting from Christmas cookies) which was my best looking cake yet (though still rather sad looking; at least taste matters more than looks).

 

Best wishes to you all for a wonderful year ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment