Thursday, May 15, 2008

Art, Philosophy, Romance, Expression

5,000 Questions... My answers so far...

 

259. What ancient civilization would you most like to visit? If it really existed, I'd love to visit Atlantis. If it truly is only a myth, then I'd have to say the Celts.


260. What would make a great new Crayola color? Super Mario Red


261. If an art project is created with the intent of getting rich and famous, does that cast doubt over its significance as a work of art? Art is too subjective to get guaranteed rich and famous (or everyone would be doing it). Some people create with money in mind. Others create from the soul. But the two don't have to be exclusive. I think it's foolish to create art with the only goal being money, but that does not take away its significance, its meaning.


262. If you became president, whom would you invite to sing at your inauguration? Trace Adkins


263. Who is the greatest philosopher of your country? I will admit to ignorance in philosophy. One that does come to mind is Abraham Maslow. His philosophies were on basic human needs and motivation. Maslow's hierarchy of needs is well known. One of his quotes is a favorite of mine: "Musicians must make music, artists must paint, poets must write if they are to be ultimately at peace with themselves. What humans can be, they must be. They must be true to their own nature."

 

264. If all the nations in the world are in debt, where did all the money go? Inflation. The same amount of money isn't worth as much.


265. Is it as easy to make you happy now as it was when you were a child? No. I'm much harder on myself. I shouldn't be.


266. Who knows more...you, or your parents? In general, I'd say my parents – more schooling, more life experience. But there are subjects that I know more than them. Is there really any point in comparing knowledge? Unless we're going on a quiz show, what we know will serve us in different ways. Yes, it is good to learn and expand our knowledge, but it is impossible to compare between persons. We should strive to know more than ourselves, not others.


267. What instrument would you like to be famous for playing? Well, you see, the downside to being famous for playing an instrument is being expected to perform it… And I don't do too well at that. If that were to change, and I were proficient enough at the instrument, I'd like to be famous for playing the harp. Of course, I've never even touched a harp, and those string instruments seem so much more complicated than the piano… But it would be so much cooler than being a famous pianist (no offense to those that are, there are just so many of them).


268. Children fill their lungs completely with air. Adults breathe in a more shallow way, not filling their lungs completely. Why the change? We grew hectic and impatient. Slow down! Breathe! Choir taught me to be more aware of my breathing. :-)


269. Would you have sex with a stranger for one million dollars? Umm, can I see the stranger first? LOL. And have him (better be a him) take STD tests first? Even then, well, I'd have to clear it with my husband, and I'm pretty sure it would be a no go. Relationships are more important than money.


270. Are you completely in control of your body? No. If I was, I wouldn't be nearly so clumsy.

Are you completely in control of your mind? No. That can be a good and a bad thing. Great for imagining stories, not so great for getting caught up in personal life "what if's".


271. Which is more romantic: an expensive, glittering bouquet OR flowers that were hand picked as they grew beside the parkway? If they are pretty, the latter. (Weeds can be pretty too.) It's the gesture that counts.


272. Do you know yourself well enough to understand why you feel the way you do? Sometimes. At other times I sure can confuse myself.


273. Which do you do more often: let movies, songs and books put your feelings into words for you or put your feelings into words by yourself? I do both. As a writer/poet, I express myself in words. But sometimes it's easier to rely on another's words, saying something in a way I had not thought to. And sometimes other's words are more universal than my own. Or more anonymous. There are times and purposes for both.

3 comments:

  1. I just have to say that I LOVE the way you worded this answer to who has more knowledge you or your parents.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Trace Adkins! Okay, maybe I just love that he writes songs about Moms.... oh well.

    I like this list, I'll have to dig back in your archives and see where you found it :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Under the header I link the original list of 5k questions. My very first entry about it is here.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Joey - One has to be tactful when one's parents read the blog. ;-) But I believe what I wrote nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete