Friday, May 30, 2008

Incredible

5,000 Questions... My answers so far...

 

In a previous entry I skipped a question and promised to return to it.

 

289. What's the most incredible experience you ever had?

 

Webster's dictionary has the following definition for incredible:

1: too extraordinary and improbable to be believed

2: Amazing, Extraordinary

 

I've written about some incredible phenomena, but haven't experienced any of them myself. And I don't think watching documentaries, YouTube, and reading books about the incredible actually counts as experiencing it. I'm sure I've used the word to describe something but didn't mean it in the true sense of the word. It's hard to remember times I've really felt that awe of "wow, is this really happening?" (at least in the amazing, not the horrifying, kind of way). I want to feel that more. I want to see a UFO, defy gravity, have a panther for a pet.

 

One incredible experience does come to mind. I think it stands out in my memory because the rest of that day was anything but. My first date was for a school dance. I asked out a guy I'd had a crush on for a while. For the day date, we grouped up with my cousin and her date. We went to the canyon, had a picnic, and hiked up to Bridal Veil Falls. It was March, and the falls were still frozen. We climbed right next to the waterfall, and it truly was incredible. The outer shell was ice, but you could see the water flowing beneath. Absolutely beautiful.

 

Sadly, the date went downhill from there. At the top of the mountain my date carved another girls name into the rock; at dinner, he made fun of my eldest brother; then at the dance he taped a paper to his shirt for some of the photos (don't ask) and hardly wanted to dance at all. Needless to say, neither did I at that point. I seem to remember leaving early. Not the best first date, but at least I did have that one incredible experience to take out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment