Tuesday, August 31, 2010

EotF update

About four months ago, I gave up on EotF. I didn’t know how to improve it, or even if I wanted to. And my queries weren’t doing well at all. 50 queries, and only 2 requests (which both ended in form rejects)? Not so good. But now the Muse Online Writers Conference is approaching again. There are a lot more publishers available for pitch sessions. I’ve grown as a writer, and I have some readers willing to help point out where it needs work, so I’m giving the story another go. I haven’t tried pitching or submitting to a publisher yet, so maybe I’ll have more luck than agent hunting.

This next month will be entirely focused on giving EotF a make-over. I’ve got some ideas to make the culture deeper, focus the conflict, and add in some more unisus scenes. I plan to have a new title when I’m ready to pitch as well. Make everything fresh, new, exciting. That’s the plan. I’m so grateful to have a husband fully supportive of me, and willing to talk about a project he is surely sick of by now.

Goal: Have a revised, polished draft of EotF (with new title) by Oct 11.

6 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm glad to hear you're not giving up on your project. And that sounds like a wonderful goal. Good luck with your revisions!

    And sorry for being such a bad blog follower. This summer has been so crazy I haven't had any time. But I'm trying to get back in the habit because I miss my blogging friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you didn't miss much. I mostly took a break from blogging over the summer. Busy for everyone. :-)

    Thanks for stopping by, and for the well wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've been following your blog for awhile and I applaud you for not giving up on your dream. I read an except from EotF some time ago and loved the story, especially the characters. The world you created is enchanting.

    I firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe this Muse Conference is just the opportunity you need right now. Maybe all those rejections were meant to prepare you for it. You never know, so be encouraged! This could be the very moment you've been waiting for, the one you'll be telling your grandkids about years from now! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. L.C. - Thank you for the support and kind words. I'm sure hoping the hard work will combine with luck to create success.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!

    I didn't relise that you'd given up with EotF, and I hope you get your goal finished. I've seen you (through the blog) do a lot of work on it, and it must be hard to give up on it.

    Fingers crossed that the right agent will be at the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck reaching your goal. I think it's good back into a manuscript and figure out what isn't working.

    ReplyDelete