Thursday, October 21, 2010

Wonky Computer

Tuesday night I was playing a video game when the screen went wonky with colored lines and I had to manually shut down. Usually that happens when the video card is overheating, so I sprayed out the dust, made sure all the parts were secure, and let it sit overnight. Next morning, seemed to boot up fine. I clicked to open an excel item, and hello Aurora Borealis. Looked like a modern art landscape with all the curvy colors. Shut back down and used my husband’s computer until he was off work.

Hubby messed with my computer when he got home. After trying some things, and some research online, the problem appears to be the RAM on the video card going out. Ugh. We really can’t afford a new card right now. Thankfully, he worked it out so my PC is using only the basic VGA graphics. I can’t run any games, or make full use of my monitor, but I can still use the internet and write.

On the plus side, that means less distractions for NaNoWriMo. I’m just glad I’m not stuck using my husband’s computer (or the old one in the back room) for writing. And I still have consoles for gaming, so it’s not the hugest loss. Just no MMOs, Sims, Civ… So staying positive.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely want to read a bit more soon. By the way, rather good design you have here, but don’t you think design should be changed once in a few months?

    ReplyDelete