Monday, February 28, 2011

Aha! TC issue

I’ve been stuck for months now on Trinity Coven. I know how it ends, and know a few key points along the way, but there didn’t seem enough conflict in the meantime. Nothing seemed to be happening main plot wise.

Then this last week, while lying in bed trying to sleep of course, I realized what the problem is. It’s not that things aren’t happening, but that the focus hasn’t been the fantasy witches, warlocks, end of the world. The major events and conflicts were relationship and romance oriented. I was inadvertently writing a paranormal romance rather than a contemporary fantasy. And there is nothing wrong with that. It is just what it is. Which is not a straight fantasy. So now that I know what I’m actually writing, hopefully I’ll stop fighting it and trying to make it something it’s not.

2 comments:

  1. Phew, I thought you had an issue with me. Thanks for clearing that up.

    Don't ya just love it when your story takes over and starts making all the decisions, it keeps you up at night, and then somehow eats all the Cheetos. Okay, that was me but you get my point. Just let it be, it's going to get its way no matter what so don't fight it. This has been my problem too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TC - Sorry about the name similarity! No issues with you. ;)

    My stories also make snacks disappear when things are going well. My muse must get hungry. I'll have a stack of crackers and not remember eating them, yet they are mysteriously gone when I look down.

    I'm trying to do better at listening to the story and the characters. Sometimes it's hard giving up control!

    ReplyDelete