Monday, March 21, 2011

Proud to be an Introvert

Shrinking Violets posted about Dispelling Ten Myths About Introverts. I encourage all to go read it. Introverts have misconceptions about themselves as often as extroverts do.

The one that irks me the most is that as an introvert I am anti-social. Not true!

2. We are not anti-social.

Quite the contrary! We have many close, dear friends, but we also recognize that being with people just for its own sake does nothing for us and, in fact, drains our batteries right quick. We love to connect with people, but not just mingle with hoards of people for its own sake.

I love going to big social events, I just get overstimulated and fatigued if I stay too long. It doesn’t energize me, it drains me. Too many social events in a short period of time can do the same thing. I like that I have been more socially active this year, but still need to balance it with ME time, which does NOT involve interacting with others.

3 comments:

  1. I'm introverted, too--and I agree, social events can be fun but take a lot of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surprised (after reading similar articles) to find out I was an extrovert. I'm not the most outgoing person and I'm not really interested in being the center of attention (unless I'm performing and then I feel like I'm someone else so it's okay. haha!), but being around people, talking with them, it energizes me. I get lonely very easily. Who knew those were extrovert qualities?

    ReplyDelete