Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Tuesday Tally - revisions

Status of my novel

total words to date: 90,000

pages: 395

completed chapters: 20

Last week's goals:
  • finish first draft - feels great to have it done! 
  • clean up excite email inbox - done
  • send out another wave of invites for my website mailing list - progress

Goals for this week:

  • start tackling writing.com email inbox...
  • fool around with Flip.com
  • prep and send Fantasy newsletter and EotF mailing list
  • celebrate finished novels with Liz

I was originally coming up with this elaborate, complicated, step by step revision plan. Then one night while attempting to fall asleep, I had a revelation that it all simplified so very nicely into four steps (cut down from nearly 20).

  1. read and revise for plot
  2. read and revise for continuity
  3. read and edit for grammar
  4. polish prose to prettiness

Much more concise and doable. As Liz won't have much time until after finals, my husband will read my first draft with me (willing and helpful), likely catching both plot holes and continuity errors. Hopefully Liz will be ready to read through it between one and two. I'll open it to the rest of the Wilcox Writers after two. Steps 1-3 will likely be repeated more than once, but it gives me focus for my reading. I've recently joined a new writer's group online, and would love to have more eyes helping out. I just need to decide at what stage to post it for them (second draft maybe?).

 

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday weekend and recovered nicely. :-)

1 comment: