Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Tuesday Tally – Halfway through year

EotF Status

# of queries out: 6

# of fulls out: 1

 

T.C. Status

word count: 8,272

no change

 

FwM Status

word count: 3,028

progress

 

Color Poems

complete: 13

min needed for chapbook: 20

 

Previous goals:

  • brainstorm wizard story for anthology – have a few ideas which I’ll let simmer for a while
  • write rest of Alexa letters for FwM – wrote needed ones for story, going to write a few more for backstory that won’t be in book
  • house project – organize scrap book supplies

Goals for this week:

  • finish fleshing out chapters 1 and 2 of FwM
  • poetry submission
  • write new poem
  • house project – weed flower garden out front

 

Six months left in 2009, so I thought I would revisit my goals for the year. As usual, I seem to have way over estimated my abilities. My goals were all in increments of 50. If I was super awesome, my numbers would be 25/50 for each. Here’s the actual totals to date:

 

Books read  10/50

Poems written 17/50

Poems submitted 28/50

Chapters written 5/50

 

Okay, that’s painfully behind. But I must remember what I have accomplished. I’ve queried twenty-one agents, purchased and moved into a house, babysat two kids full time for one month, and gotten into a regular exercise routine with my husband which is actually showing success (my arms have muscles after all!).

 

What I’ve learned so far:

  1. I’m not in a place where I can read one book a week. Maybe if I only read Young Adult books, and/or didn’t have so many other hobbies. Of course, a five year old also interferes with long reading sessions.
  2. Mystery books slow me down. I’m just not into them like I used to be, and find myself reading only a few pages at a time.
  3. I second guess myself a lot when writing, which interferes with getting chapters done. I keep telling myself to allow first draft messes, but my pep talks are easier said than applied. So much easier to write a page, then say I’ve accomplished something and allow myself to go browse the web, or play a game.
  4. It’s even easier not to write when I’m tired, hot, and/or have a headache. I need to stop making excuses, and stop beating myself up. A good writing session is energizing, and will help me forget the heat and aches.

 

I don’t have to be perfect, as long as I’m moving forward. How are your goals for the year coming along?

3 comments:

  1. My main writing goal for this year was to write 4 pages a week on anything creative. I made a spreadsheet to tally my results, and so far, I've only written the equivalent of 2.7 pages/week.
    Looking back on it, I wonder what made me decide I could write 4 pages/week with such a busy life.
    Yesterday I decided on a new goal of the equivalent of 100 words/day, or 3,100 words/month. Much more doable, and then I can increase the goal as I get into more of a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, it is halfway through the year, isn't it? The nice thing about over-ambitious goals is that at least you always have something to strive for. For me if I meet all my goals, instead of surging onward I tend to rest on my laurels and congratulate myself. So big goals is my way of prodding myself forward :) As far as what I have/haven't accomplished of my goals for 2009, I'll post about it--it would take too long here!

    For second-guessing yourself while writing: are you getting feedback after each chapter? That has helped me work faster and stop second guessing, because even if I do get off-track it's only for a chapter and my beta readers will whip me back on course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Scribbler - It's always good to readjust goals. I use spreadsheets as well. I love seeing the visual progress. Good luck with your writing!

    Lynn - I finally shared my opening chapters with a writing group, so hopefully that will keep me on track.

    ReplyDelete