Thursday, February 14, 2008

"Loving You" - a romantic story for Valentine's Day

Sarina leaned over the rail of the cruise ship, entranced by the reflection of the moon on the water and the brisk breeze enfolding her. Soft music was playing from the speakers. I can’t believe I’m here. I’ve never won anything in my life, let alone a Caribbean Cruise for two. And to be here with the man I’ve been waiting all my life for. It must be a dream.

~ ~ ~

Ivan had the drink she requested and went on deck to find her. He rounded a corner to see her leaning into the wind, her head back and eyes closed. He stopped, not wanting to disturb her, taking a moment to absorb the view. She looked so beautiful in the moonlight. Her blonde hair was loose, falling down her back to flutter gently in the breeze. Her emerald evening gown was modest, but the wind pressed it against her, enhancing her curves. That image, and the long slit up the skirt showing a glimpse of her long, slim legs, did plenty to stir his blood. So many times during his work overseas, he wanted to drop everything and come meet her. Then he returned home only to lose his mother. With the family finally readjusted, he had been about to contact Sarina when her invitation came. She is absolutely amazing. Five years of correspondence, and I finally get to spend time with her. I’ve loved her as long as I’ve known her, but nothing could compare to having her in my arms at last. He set the drinks down on a nearby table and snuck up behind her. Sliding his arms around her waist, he nuzzled her neck and whispered in her ear. “Hello, beautiful.”

~ ~ ~

She smiled and turned around in his arms. She slid her hands up to his shoulders, so elegantly clad in white tuxedo, and inhaled the already familiar scent of his cologne. For only having spent two days with him in person, she felt like she had been with him forever. When she had asked Ivan to join her on the cruise, she was afraid that he would decline. To her delight, he accepted the invitation. Her fear was replaced by a new one – that the attraction they had felt in their online conversations, letters, and phone calls would disappear once they met. Or, even worse, that she would still feel the same way, but he wouldn’t. What will happen when the cruise is over? Will we never see each other again? I already know I want to spend the rest of my life with him, but how can I know what he’s thinking? She pulled back to search his hazel eyes.

~ ~ ~

She looked up at him and he saw her heart in her eyes. He pulled her tighter, not ever wanting to let go. How will she react when she finds out my plans? A new song started to play, and he was amazed at how it reflected the way he felt. He took it as a sign. He trailed his fingers along her jaw, then pulled her away from the rail. “Dance with me, and listen.”

~ ~ ~
Moon so bright, night so fine,
Keep your heart here with mine
Life's a dream we are dreaming


Race the moon, catch the wind,
Ride the night to the end,
Seize the day, stand up for the light


I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do


Heroes rise, heroes fall,
Rise again, win it all,
In your heart, can't you feel the glory?


Through our joy, through our pain,
We can move worlds again
Take my hand, dance the dance with me

 
I want to spend my lifetime loving you
If that is all in life I ever do
I will want nothing else to see me through
If I can spend my lifetime loving you


Though we know we will never come again
Where there is love, life begins
Over and over again


Save the night, save the day,
Save the love, come what may,
Love is worth everything we pay

~ ~ ~

His mellow voice singing with the music completely melted her nerves away. How perfect the lyrics were. Did this mean he felt the same way? As the chorus trailed off, they stopped dancing. She was disappointed when he let her go and took a step back. He got down on one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket. The implication took her breath away. Tears came to her eyes when he opened it to reveal the simple gold band with a heart shaped diamond.

~ ~ ~

Praying she wanted what he did, he took the ring out of the box and held it before her. “This one day with you has been the best day of my life. I’ve loved you for a long time, and I know you feel the same way. I want to spend my lifetime loving you. Will you marry me?” When she said yes, for the first time in his life tears fell down his cheeks. He slid the ring onto her finger, stood up and pulled her close. “I love you, and I will always cherish you.” Then her lips found his, and he gave up words in favor of her kiss.

 

-----

Story by me. Song quoted: Title, "I Want to Spend My Lifetime Loving You". Music by James Horner. Lyrics by Will Jennings. Performed by Tina Arena & Marc Anthony.

1 comment: